February 10, 2012

Yummy Soul Food that feeds your soul and your body

When I made my 4 year old french toast the other day, I was recieved w/ so much exuberance.  She absolutely loved them and ate 2-3 of them and not only that but wanted them for bfast, lunch for 3 days straight.  She said they were delicious and I felt good about giving her something she would eat, enjoy, bond w/, and that was nurishing her body.  I do not like to cook.  I don't like spending a lot of time in the kitchen..it brings up a lot of emotion of feeling like I need to domesticate for a man or that I was only born to stand in front of the stove or the sink.  But I do love making food that is healthy and unique.  If I can create something that tastes good and is good for the body as well as the soul, it makes me sing.

So here is my french toast recipe!  Take 1 slc of ezekiel break, whole wheat nan bread, or low carb-high fiber tortilla.  Mix & whip together 2 eggs, 1 egg white/ 1 tsp. vanilla/ 2 tsp. cinnamon.  Heat skillet and cover the bread of choice cover in egg mixture and cook on med. heat for approx. 30 sec. on each side..Top w/ sliced banana & crushed walnuts, drizzle w/ 100 % maple syrup.  So yummp, so good for you!

Ok so on Saturdays when I have my girls, it is pizza and movie night.  I love pizza and there are not very many kids who don't either.  Something about laying a blanket down on the family room floor, popping in a movie and sitting in a circle, eating pizza and watching a movie that bonds you!  I have two homemade pizza ideas for you that are super quick and you can feel good about eating w/ the children.
Creamy Chicken Artichoke Pizza:
Take a premade whole wheat nan bread (usually found in your specility deli section by the hummus and pita chips)
Top w/ 2 Tbsp. low fat alfredo sauce, place non hormone chx breast on top and artichoke hearts.  You can also add kalamato olives to taste if you like.  Sprinkle feta cheese on top and bake it on 375 for approx. 8 min. until cheese is melted and sauce is warm

Cheesey Pinnapple Pizza:  ( my little Sarah's favorite)

Take Nan bread or whole wheat pita bread.  Top w/ marinara sauce (you put it on as thick as you like)  sprinkle \ italian or pizza seasoning.  Then add fresh pinnapple..Top w/ low fat mozz. cheese or feta (most kids do not like feta).  Bake in the oven on 375 for 8 min. until cheese is melted and sauce is warm.

Enjoy your family time together eating soul full food that nurishes your mind, body and your heart!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home