August 2, 2011

seeking out challenges

On Saturday I ran in the Wasatch back Marathon.   A relay marathon that runs along the ridge line of the wasatch mountains.  Of course the leg I ran was 11 miles climbing to the top.  "Why would you want to do that?", chids my mother.  "You are not as young as you used to be."  "what if you get hurt?"

What if I do?  Why would I want to put my body through agony for 11 miles?  It is an adequate question, but of course my answer is so much deeper than, "I just thought it would be a good idea."

I am not an advocate for marathons.  I am advocate for picking something challenging and doing it, even if others around you think you are crazy.  Pick something that is fun for you, pick something that you wouldn't normally do.

My experience running this race was something that hopefully stays in my heart forever!  I gained so much insight while pounding away on the dirt trails climbing the ridge line.  Each mile, or should I say stride, I would have to tell myself, "get to that next tree and then reevaluate how you feel."  Each time, I would feel like I wasn't just climbing, I was tackling everything in my life that is hard.  I was tackling all my goals that I have.  I was tackling the fears that lume in my mind.  Each stride was an affirmation that I can do hard things and keep on going.  On my journey to the top, at mile 13...there was my precious girls, cheering other runners on and giving out water.  As I climbed the hill to reach them, I was reminded again, that this isn't all about me.  It is about them.  What a great opportunity for them to encourage others in their goals, to give aid, and encouragement.  It was a chance for them to see their mom do hard things and to buoy me up.  They grabbed my hands and started to run beside me, eyes beaming and chanting, "you can do it mom!"

Once I reached the top, the views where so beautiful!! You could see the valleys below and the Timponoga peak ahead.  In that moment, I felt more close to intention than I had in a long time.  I was in a place of complete surrender.  My body was numb and my soul was humble.  I was able to feel that I have a plan here on earth, that we all do.  That we have been given such a great gift...the gift of life.

During hard times, challenges, or experiences, it is a chance for us to look at the tree ahead and say, "I will get to that tree."  and once you are there...build confidence and do it again.  Pick the next tree and the next until you have reached the top.  Challenges can humble the spirit and make us teachable.  If we are willing we can learn our most valuable lessons during that moment.  Remember along our journeys, we are never alone.  We may feel alone as we run along the dirty, rocky path, but a few miles ahead there is a water station and someone willing to give you aid.  These individuals are everywhere, ready to buoy us up and cheer us on.  If your head is down and your eyes are shut, you will miss them and the relief that they bring.


When I got home from the run.  This wonderful running mediation and teaching moment, I received a phone call from someone that I was waiting to hear from about a business partnership.  Mind you, this is a Saturday afternoon when I got this call.  Coincedence?  I don't think so.  I had put myself in nature, humbled my spirit and let my soul and mind meditate for hours.  I was so close to intention and right when I needed it, the helping hand to further my purpose in life had called and we worked out a business deal over the phone.  He even said, he had never done that before without meeting the person, but felt so differently about me and was willing to wrap up the deal!!!  Amazing and truely a gift.  A gift of knowledge that intention works and that seeking out challenges is one of the greatest ways we can feel zestful and more closer to our purpose!













Danette Allen Fitness www.danetteallenfitness.com Body Heart Mind Soul Health & Fitness Retreats, Exercise Workouts, Nutrition, Visualization & More

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At August 3, 2011 at 12:39 AM , Blogger rebecca erikson said...

Wow, Danette, you truly inspire me to be a better person. Thank you for that post, you are an amazing writer and have a beautiful way of expressing yourself. Thank you for your friendship.. love you and miss you!

 
At August 9, 2011 at 5:32 PM , Blogger Jennie's Travels said...

Incredible! I can't believe how dedicated you are. That is an amazing gift you have worked to achieve. Its a talent the Lord has given you. Keep up the inspiration.

 
At August 20, 2011 at 7:25 PM , Blogger Ann Marie said...

Believe and it WILL happen. Work and your dreams become reality. Have the Courage to start. Go Dani!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home